About Me

I am an Egyptian girl with unhealthy appetite for makeup. clothes, and everything pink and girly.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Designer Crush : Amina K.

Around four years ago, I had a meeting with the editor of the magazine I write for, and we agreed to do an article about the uprising young Egyptian designers, I knew like five designers back then and she told me you have to include Amina Khalil, and I asked who is Amina Khalil, she told me that she is a new designer  starting a new brand called Amina K, which everyone is talking about, and that she was showing out her collection through open days, in Hacienda in North coast, and my editor went to one of them and liked her stuff a lot, so she gave me her number, and I called her to ask for more info, and she was the most sweet and friendly girl ever, she sent me some photos for a fashion show she did in London, and I can't tell you guys how much I loved them.since that time Amina K. has widely expanded and grow out to be one of the most famous and talented designers in Egypt, and she definitely became my favourite one here.

Amina studied fashion designing in London and trained in big fashion houses like Mathew Williamson and DVF,  after that she flew back to Egypt and decided to start her own fashion clothing line, totally inspired by the Egyptian culture but with a modern contemporary twist, imagine a pair of short made out from Khayamya fabric, or a belt made from a kilim, that is so original, and all of her collection is designed to be mixed, matched and layered together so it leaves you to unleash your own style. I love the fact that all her items are mainly handmade in local workshops using local fabrics and materials. and she was the first and only Egyptian designer to design a collection of  Sunglasses/ medical glasses in collaboration with Baraka.
Every season I make sure to have at least a couple of things from her newest collection, and I have to say they are traffic stoping items, whenever I am abroad I got stopped by different women to ask me from where my belt or my vest is, and I have noticed it's a common phenonmena when it comes to Amina K.

Here are my favourite picks throughout the years

2008


 Winter 2009

Summer 2009


Summer 2010



Summer 2011



Winter 2011




 Amina K is available in Beymen and in her showroom : 24 Al Thawra street, Dokki

2 comments: