About Me

I am an Egyptian girl with unhealthy appetite for makeup. clothes, and everything pink and girly.

Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas in Cairo

I don't celebrate Christmas, but my dear friends do, so I'd like to share this post with them, Christmas time for me is the best ever, I know it's Christmas when one of my dearest friend calls, to tell me about the DEO (the German School in Egypt) Bazaar, which unfortunately I missed for the last two years. I love when I walk into City Stars and find all shops hanging  the Xmas decoration, the red cups of Starbucks, the Christmas tree at Virgin Mega store, the turkey dinners I got invited to, the endless lines at Le Carnival and Sedra dessert shops even the little boys at El Thawra street, selling Santa masks and hats, all of this make me feel, like it's the most wonderful time of the year, IT'S CHRISTMAS TIME GUYS.



As I said before I don't celebrate Xmas, and at new year's eve,I am one of those boring people who stay home in PJs and my Christmas print fluffy slipper, I don't know why but I prefer a cozy family gathering over a night out that day, every year , my family gather for a heavy delicious dinner cooked by the greatest chef ever, a.k.a Mum. it's either a turkey or shrimps, and cannelloni has to be included " I really don't know why but it's a family tradition anyway", we have dinner while watching Home Alone part 1 and part 2, another family tradition I guess.



so here is my guide for spending Christmas in Cairo:

- The Decoration:
1- Theodor's:
a concept store in Maadi, that simply have the best Xmas decorating items and ornaments in Egypt.



 2- Everyman's:
a bookstore in Korba, that have amazing collection as well, and just in front of it, there is a tiny store that I can't remember its name right now, that shop also has a huge collection of pretty stuff and for cheaper prices.

3- El Mousky/ Dar El Barbra:
the area may not be so cool, but they have everything you can wish for, all Xmas trees types and sizes whether it's plastic or natural, candles, ornaments, everything really and for the cheapest prices ever but you have to bargain and bargain and bargain there, my advice if you want to go there, go in a group and watch for your belongings.
-The Candles:
I have two addictions in my life, designer bags and scented candles, and the last is the more likely I can get of course, back in 2008 at Christmas time, I enterd my friend's house in Amsterdam, and it smelt so nice and delicious, I told her this smells like Xmas, she told me that is because of the Yankee's candles she was burning, since then I have become addicted to the Yankee's candles, and also I like the bath and body works ones for Xmas.


-The Food:
you can find turkeys in almost every big supermarket in Egypt, but if you are looking for a premium quality one head to Gourmet shop in Dandy Mall or Maadi, I tried it once and I can tell you there is a signficant difference in the taste.


and you don't want to miss NOLA's Xmas cupcakes, not only they taste heavenly they are super cute too



- The Fashion:
finding a good evening gown in Egypt can be sometime harder than finding your soul mate, so to save your self the hassel, head straight to Dresscode in city stars, or to the boutique in the 5th settlement, they are the best when in comes to evening gowns.

Dresscode

The Boutique

 - The gifts:
if you haven't finished all your Xmas shopping by now, head to amuse they have nice ideas for unique gifts, or go to faces and the body shop they have nice affordable packages of perfumes and body lotions. and if you are too lazy to get out of your pajamas log into www.bungalowh.com, it's an online shop for international and local designer clothes, acessories, baby stuff, candles and more, not only you can shop by a mouse click, they will get what you want deliverd and wrapped at the same day.
-The Music:
This is my favourite Christmas song, what is yours ?

 
 
Have a happy Christmas everyone, and a happy new year

1 comment:

  1. WE LOOOVE LOOOVE It :) :) I cant believe we just saw this :) :) x xx x


    Thank you for generosity :) :) We're honored to have you write about us again :)

    ReplyDelete